The Caipirinha, traditionally made with Cachaça, is often viewed as the national drink of Brazil. When the mix of strong rum, tart fragrant lime and sweet sugar is perfectly balanced, this potent, festive cocktail can be enjoyed at any occasion.
You may have to adjust the ratio of lime, rum and sugar syrup until you have the perfect balance (limes come in different sizes and with different juiciness!)
- 50ml Deep South White Rum
- 25ml Simple Syrup
- 1 fresh lime
- ice, cracked or crushed
- Cut lime into 4 wedges. Reserve one wedge for garnish and chop other 3 wedges in half
- Muddle chopped lime wedges and simple syrup in strong glass until lime juice is released
- Add rum and stir well until chilled
- Fill glass with crushed ice and stir again
- Garnish with lime wedge
For best results, let the ice slowly melt into the drink for a few moments to chill and open the flavours. And then finish the drink before it is too diluted!