The secret to this cocktail is the quality of the peach juice and the freshness of the chilli.
Try to find peach juice that is mostly peach – too many brands are mostly apple juice flavoured with small amounts of peach juice.
Good chillis are Serrano, Thai or Cayenne and they must be ripe. Green chillis may impart a vegetable flavour to the cocktail
Err on the lighter side with the chillis until you find the right level of heat – it is easier to add chilli flavour than it is to remove it!
- 50ml Deep South Spice Island Gin
- 15ml simple syrup (or to taste)
- 60 ml freshly squeezed peach juice.
- 1-2 fresh ripe (red) chillis (to taste)
- Clean a ripe chilli, remove the stalk and the seeds
- In a shaker, muddle the chilli together with the sugar syrup.
- Add gin and peach juice to the shaker, add 4-6 pieces of ice and shaker vigorously
- Strain into martini glass and garnish with a fresh chilli