The ultimate winter fireside drink, this lemony, spicy hot drink will conjure up memories of childhood, but with an adult zing from the gin. The herbal profile of the Deep South Cape Dry Gin opens up beautifully with the hot water. Make a batch and enjoy with your friends at a mid-winter braai!
A toddy should be served piping hot to allow the garnishes to infuse into the drink until it is cool enough to sip. Find your own perfect balance of sweet and sour by adjusting the honey and lemon content to your taste.
- 50ml Deep Cape Dry Gin
- 40 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice (approximately half a lemon)
- 40ml of light honey (or to taste)
- 3 cloves
- Stick of Cinnamon
- Slice of orange or lemon
- Boiling water
- Pour gin, lemon juice and honey into a warmed glass (If ingredients are cold, pop them into the microwave for 15 seconds)
- Add cloves and cinnamon stick (the longer these infuse, the more intense the flavour)
- Add boiling water to taste. Stir very well.
- Add your choice of citrus garnish
Options: Give your toddy an extra lift by adding one of the following
- Slice of fresh ginger
- 1 Star Anise
- All spice berries
- Dash of orange or Angostura Bitters
- Dried chilli