A Vodka cocktail with a fascinating history, the Moscow Mule is a “vodka drink with a kick”, with ‘Moscow’ paying tribute to the vodka spirit, and ‘Mule’ referring to the kick! The inspirational legend claims that the cocktail arose from a decision in the 1940’s to combine Vodka with a Ginger Beer that was struggling to gain traction in the market and serve it in copper mugs that themselves were not selling well.
There are now dozens of derivative versions of the ‘Mule’ that combine many different spirits. This version is a classic recipe, made with Deep South Premium Vodka.
Do yourself a favour and make this with a traditional, properly fermented spicy craft ginger beer (rather than sugary production ginger beers that are made with artificial flavours).
- 50ml Deep South Premium Vodka
- 1 fresh lime
- 15ml Simple Syrup
- 100 ml strong, naturally made craft ginger beer
- sprig of mint for garnish
- Quarter the lime and squeeze 3 wedges into a glass, reserving fourth wedge for garnish
- Pour vodka and simple syrup into copper mug/jam jar filled with ice and stir
- Top off with ginger beer, and a scoop of crushed ice without stirring
- Garnish with lime wedge and a sprig of mint